BS in Psychology in the Philippines
The Bachelor of Science in Psychology program (BSP) is designed to help you observe human behavior through
the scientific method, allowing you to gain access to the human psyche and fathom its depths. You will gain the knowledge, tools and skills needed to assess and conduct
empirical research regarding individual and group behavior though the lens of various psychological theories and concepts. The BSP degree can prepare you for general careers in teaching, research, counseling and human resources. It can also be a foundation major for further studies in the fields of Medicine, Guidance and Counseling, Human Resource Development and Law.
What skills are required to succeed in this course?
These are the skills that you need to possess or develop to be able to succeed in this course:
- A keen interest for people and the intricacies of human behavior.
- Interpersonal skills – you must be able to relate to all kinds of people as social beings and understand the motivations for their actions.
- Intrapersonal skills – this includes the personal capacity for self–reflection and assessment. You must be able to understand yourself in order to understand others.
- Communication skills – you must be an active listener who understands the uniqueness of every person and yet communicates in a patient manner in order to change the behavior of others.
- Analytical skills – Human behavior is very complex, and a scientific method is needed to analyze and measure the variations for certain actions.
- Decision making skills – suggesting courses of action for different individuals requires gathering evidence, assessing probable consequences and making quick yet difficult judgment calls.
In DMMC Institute of Health Sciences, this program aims to provide undergraduate students with a solid basic foundation on the major areas of Psychology which may also be used as preparation for further studies and training in particular specializations of Psychology or other professions such as education, law, business management and a preparation for further studies in medicine.
The student of the College of Psychology attended a convention last September 12, 2015 in Lyceum of the Philippines University Batangas under the division of TATSULOK (Alyansa Ng Mga Mag-aaral sa Sikolohiyang Pilipino) and Sikolohiyang Pilipino. The theme “I10TIDAD: Pagtuklas sa Maskara at Pagkatao ng mga Pilipino sa likod ng Makabagong Panahon” A seminar that aims to give understanding about Filipino Psychology and to provide a wide raise perceptive about concept of psychology that is exceptional to Filipino culture.
The topics discussed were about the social theories which are somehow applicable in present day. There were also segment named “Pambasag Yelo” it is likely an ice breaker in common term which entertains most of the participants. There was cultural presentation that excites most of the students. The most stimulating part in the convention was about social media with a title “Sino daw ako? Ang mga Pilipino sa Harap ng Social Media.” There was also debate with the topic Social Media Today: Is posting on social media be tolerated publicly or keep it in you. The debate strikes the attention of everyone since all participants were teenagers and presently vast of teens are expose to social media. The convention seminar ended with full of awareness and knowledge about today’s perspective about Psychology.